Monday, September 16, 2013

Judging The Lush

You've probably done it yourself. Put on those judgmental shades and got down to business judging that "lush", "cheap date", or "lightweight". While I've always placed a higher level of respect and reverence upon those who were able to "hold their liquor", I've recently begun to wonder, did I actually have it all wrong all along?

Why do we consume...
When I think about my own consumption habits, there are common threads that link everything--I'm trying to relax, let loose, have fun--essentially self medicate and prescribe a substance that will help me achieve that desired outcome.

Yet, in the midst of that consumption, I'm very aware--almost hyper aware--of my current state of mind. Almost as if I'm constantly trying to keep thousands of marbles from falling off of a convex table. But why would I fight my changing my state of mind, while in pursuit of changing my state of mind?

I know why!
Plain and simply, if I allow the effects of my consumption to take hold--unobstructed--other people will think I'm a loser. And you've felt this, too. Stiff lip, firm stance, deliberate speech. The exact opposite of a lush. But what's interesting is that...guess who's having more fun? Guess who's actually letting loose; relaxing?

So there's a good chance that the lush I'm judging doesn't care and will have a good time regardless of my disapproving looks and/or comments. How do I know? Because most lushes keep on being lushes. And I know that there are those who consume and act like total morons, but that could be the person who loses it after 3 shots, or the person who can down a 5th by themselves.

Anyway, I say all of that to say; from here on, I'm abandoning my front. If someone is in "pursuit of happiness" and not ruining my day, why should I care? Surely there's nothing wrong with being giggly, more open and a little loose with the lips.

Besides, I'm trying to get there myself...right?

"Elitism in all forms distracts us from the truth of our common [goal]" - Dustin Moskovitz

No comments:

Post a Comment